Tuesday, January 13, 2009

October 20 2008


Hallelujah I wore a jacket today! What a thrill to wake up a little chilly, to be reminded again that I am alive. The days have passed here (almost 240 of them!) some days are rainier some are hotter but relatively all the same, and it adds a great deal of monotonous convenience…being able to always go outside, farm etc…which I guess is a fair trade off for having a life in which you have to go out to the latrine to pee. Can you imagine going outside in Michigan winter every time you had to use the restroom?!?! Anyway, the morning air is gorgeous when it’s cool like this. Especially the mornings after a good rain when I open the back door and I can see the mountains so clearly in the distance as to see the shapes of trees where a uniform green mat lays every other day. This place is really beautiful.

I had an amazing day today – I went to the city to meet a friend who had received my absentee ballot from the capital and with a belly full of nutritious vegetarian food from the Adventist church restaurant, I voted from Santiago, Republica Dominicana! Although I wanted to be in the States for the campaign season it has been a really amazing experience being here in the DR with all the other expats!



No comments: