Thursday, September 18, 2008

I'm working too!

September 8th: One of the great thing things about working in development as a Peace Corps volunteer is that we have the time and take the opportunity to get to know and integrate into our communities before and during our development work. We take into consideration what is right for the community and what they are going to want and be able to sustain after we leave. Working within the capacity of our communities with a two year limitation, the projects are typically small and the development is slow but it is more empowering for the communities than handouts. To give you all an update on my work and to hold myself accountable for it in the future, I have included here some of the things that I’m currently working on, project ideas, goals and dreams for my work and life here:
- Brigada Verde: A nationwide environmental youth movement to learn and teach their communities about environmental initiatives. I’m starting a group in my community, co-planning the regional conference and co-chairing the national committee.
- Reforestation: We are planning the construction of a nursery to grow trees for reforestation. I am working with the neighborhood association where I live to work on reforesting the rivers and educating the property owners about why it’s important. We also have a trash clean-up scheduled for the end of the month!
- Women’s groups: I would like to work with the women’s groups on nutrition, cooking and how to minimize waste by using organic stuff to make compost.
- English Classes: I’m teaching English three nights a week and compiling a manual on how to teach English using environmental themes.
- The Schools: I’m working with the science teacher on her environmental science lessons and activities. We want to start a garden at the school and I would like to help them write and institute a curriculum addendum on human impacts on the environment.
- Radio: Another volunteer and I are planning a monthly radio show where we answer questions on environmental topics.
- WMU: My alma mater now has a huge population of Dominican students on scholarship and I’d like to work with WMU and the Secretary of Education here to facilitate service learning projects for the Dominican students to come give back to their communities.
- Beer: Although I have no prior experience in brewing, I plan on starting a beer revolution by brewing and distributing the DR’s first beer darker than Bud Light. I have a dream of opening a brew pub. Send supplies! Email tips and recipes!

1 comment:

Danica said...

oooh... I'm the first to comment! I was reading the list of things you are working on and I noticed that reforestation was on it. I actually have a friend who share your title but he's working in Senegal. Anyway, I wrote some grants with a group called Eden Reforestation Projects that were specifically geared toward environmental education last summer - my husband (boyfriend at the time) even illustrated a coloring book for kids, showing them how to take care of seedlings. =) I know this is more directed at American audiences, but the group I'm with now made these videos about deforestation (http://vimeo.com/eden\). They were actually created for the group I wrote grants for, too! Anyway, thought you might find them useful for discussion with your pals and supporters here. My best to you volunteers in the Peace Corps!