Monday, September 22, 2008

Expo Cibao!

The family that I live with has been amazing, supportive and has taken care of me more than I could ask for. Whenever he drops me off somewhere or I leave to go to the city my host dad asks me if I have enough money and when I’ll be back. One night I stayed with our extended family thinking that my parents knew I was there and my host mom stayed up half the night worrying herself to death about what happened to me…don’t ask me why she didn’t call me…but the point is she is great. I spend a lot of time with them but my cousins are actually closer to my age 16, 18 and 20 and my aunt is more like a mother to me, so they have adopted me into the family as well.
This weekend was the yearly expo at the fairgrounds in Santiago, the capital of the Cibao region of the country (the central valley) and so we planned a family trip, the six of us. A couple days before, our younger brother and mom got pink eye and so they had to stay behind for the trip...and so we were four, but we had a great time.

"Solidarity with vision of the future, Santiago"

At the fair we checked out exhibits of all kinds of businesses and products, from powdered milk to clean energy and I even found the booth of Foreign Policy the magazine in Spanish. We also checked out the cows on display, a merengue group, the art museum’s exhibit and store and got some ice cream before heading to a pueblo neighboring ours for their patronales celebration.

Most of the pictures are us with the cows and acting silly for the camera...as you can see.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

danielle! thank you for blogging!!!!! I love your pictures and stories. Love YOU!! xox -ashley.