Monday, August 4, 2008

Merengue days and bachata nights

On Saturday night a couple weeks ago I attended a fiesta, one of many to celebrate las patronales – days of the patron saints - of a neighboring community. Each community celebrates the patron saint of their church at a different time of year and each has a nine day long celebration to honor him or her. For nine days the church has special masses and for nine nights the community has huge parties. The party that I attended was not one of the nine huge parties but rather a fairly large party to celebrate the fact that it is nearly patronales.

It was the first time that I had attended a party being part of the community and my sister had taken the initiative of dressing me up a bit, adding large hoop earrings, black heels and a rosary to my outfit in an attempt to assimilate me, as I thought the halter top was probably taking it a bit too far. I arrived with a group of young men, family and friends, and not being part of a giant obvious group of Americans was a relief (though I do miss them dearly). As I arrived and was seated with a group of young men the cultural rules here follow that any respectful man who wanted to dance with me would ask my brother permission first. Although I’ve been here for nearly 5 months, this was a new experience and although it seems kind of old fashion judging through the lens of my own culture, it was certainly a great way to weed out the creeps and tigeres - tigers!

No comments: