Monday, August 4, 2008

Another right of passage

July 22: I am sick for the first time since living in the country. It’s just a stomach ache but there are many hypotheses about what’s wrong with me, including that I ate something from the street vendors and I got too much sun atop the pile of limes yesterday. For the last 24 hours my family has been curing me with liquid concoctions and depriving me of anything tasty. The concoctions almost all contain lime and salt and taste horrible. I think it’s a tad curious that the only ingredient that we have an abundance of – lime - happens to cure what I have, but I trust their knowledge of natural remedies. Besides, I think the ingredients are less important to them than just making my stomach uninhabitable for living things. If not, it’s back to the capital in a couple days to get a scoped for parasites. What fun!

July 26: After a few days of laying low, living off a bit of white rice and fresh fruit juices I am well again! I had a hunch that the salami flavored water I was given at a friends house was probably not boiled…so I only had a swig or two…probably a bad idea. Where I live the water is delicious but when visiting others it’s probably best stay away from salami flavored water and uncooked leafy greens!

Note: Do spend one second worrying over the health of this intrepid explorer living in a developing Latin American country. The training and medical care of the Peace Corps is impeccable and I have a huge Dominican family constantly telling me to sit down, go take a nap, I'm not eating enough etc. and monitoring what I eat and where I am every minute of every day and night - I doubt I will ever in my life be as cared for as I am right now!

No comments: