Thursday, January 14, 2010

Earthquake in Haiti



It was the first time I had ever felt an earthquake. It was felt as far East as Nagua, Dominican Republic. But we are safe and there was no damage here.

I have friends visiting and we were inside a large market plaza in Santiago. I was looking at a wall of souvenirs and it moved away from me, but I didn’t realize what was happening until I heard the men outside the store yelling, “The earth is trembling, the earth is trembling!” I still can't believe what some Haitian communities were going through at that same moment. I was in the middle of a giant old building. I certainly would have been trapped inside had the earthquake hit Santiago instead.

If you want to help I would recommend the Red Cross but if you prefer to send your money with a certain motive I will deliver it personally to Port au Prince in May when I am no longer serving in the Peace Corps.

No comments: