Monday, July 28, 2008

My friends are getting married!

May 31: A couple of my friends from high school had been planning to get married in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic since before I received my Peace Corps assignment here. I was excited to be able to make it to the wedding and so Cecilia and I took the opportunity to leave the countryside and head to the cushy American resort to partake in the festivities.

Months ago when we arrived in this country the warmth of the people, even more than the weather, cushioned our entry into this foreign culture, but as we approached the grand gates of the Melia Caribe Tropical Resort the culture and all that we’ve come to know shattered around us without us noticing. The presence of foreign units of exchange (many of which are dollars) has clearly changed both the landscape and the people here. Within the high guarded walls there were hints of the country that receded out into the landscape; the beer was El Presidente, all of the workers spoke Spanish and every once in a while there was a meringue song contrasting the American rap, but the energy was different. Outside the walls of the resort Dominican towns, houses, public transportation, music and food do not exist for kilometers…there is only sugar cane, Haitians cutting it and vacant land.

Though I am still new to this country my perception of Dominicans is a very positive one, they are warm and generous. I would think that years of serving rich tourists would only make a person’s disposition even more friendly - possibly artificially, but friendly nonetheless. This was not the case with the reception at the resort and it was the first sign to Cecilia and I that although we were still on the island, we were no longer in the DR we knew. I must say though that seeing friends, the extremely gorgeous ambiance, the hot shower, the salmon dinner and the unbelievable non-existence of mosquitoes made for a phenomenal mini vacation!

It was not until we boarded a guagua with all the doors and windows open, the fresh air blowing across our faces, the sound of merengue percussion and the friendly cobrador watching over us, making sure he knew exactly where to let us off, that I realized how much I have become a part of this country already and how much of this place I have adopted as my own.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad that you guys could make it. it made the day extra special. did you get my card that I sent you??