Monday, June 30, 2008

May 15th: Work, Day One

… and by work I mean that my project partner takes me around our office introducing me to people. It’s hard starting a new job, trying to remember everyone and make a good impression...and like everything I've done in this country so far, even harder in Spanish. I just attended my first meeting with my work group. A group of 6 young to middle aged men who live super interesting lives, walking a fine line between rural farmers and environmental development professionals. The combination of things that they accomplish everyday is evident in their uniform; nice looking work boots, a nice collared shirt for meetings, and along with the baseball cap long sleeves to keep the tropical sun off the skin. I can't wait to get to know them better and have the privilege to work alongside them! Everyone in the office and in my community has been amazingly welcoming. Since I got here I can’t count the times I’ve heard “Cual quier cosa…en su orden” – “Whatever thing you want…at your order” - It sounds a little more like servitude when you translate it into English, but here it’s just really genuine and endearing.

I try to convey how difficult it is to be here without sounding like I want to come home and try to explain how much I love life here without demeaning the sacrifices we make in our daily lives to do the work we do. The Peace Corps does pretty well in describing it when they say, “It’s the hardest job you’ll ever love.” Teaching biology in an urban high school at 23 years old was the hardest job I’ve ever loved, but this is certainly a close second.

No comments: